Friday, February 18, 2005

america?- by the people

alright alright alright...
so jake points out in his last comment that maybe i give america too much of a hard time. and he's right. you're right jake, it's not your fault you weren't born somewhere better.
truth is, as much as i may hate the country i currently find myself in (and believe me, it will change as soon as i can make it- i'm not just griping with no efforts to amend my situation), the one thing i appreciate about this place is the few friends i've made.
i don't like people.
this has nothing to do with nationality. i just don't like people. and with the exception of carnival, the larger the group of people, the more i avoid it like the plague.
so it says something about the people i've met since arriving in dc that i like so many of them and consider them friends. i don't 'friend' easily, and definitely don't hesitate to lock off anybody who violates the basic rules of friendship, since less people is better anyway.

so big-up jake, jenn, giri, knol, covey, ganz, alex, molnar, glen, caleen, alyincali, my shakespeare crew, tony+miscellaneous flux, kwame, skinnywhiteboy (who'll never read this since he won't acknowledge the existence of the internet) and jp+sonomi, dail+stephen, r.scott+signature crew (not forgetting jimmy-james+billy), kojo+co (although he's not originally american, the crew is), tom+melissa, and of course, my one+only grims.
you make the winter and year-round lack of beach a lot easier to bear.
you're the reason i've stuck it out this long.
you the best.

i'll take you all to trini someday.
walk good. biglove.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out. Love you too. It's nice to be loved by people who hate people, it makes me feel special. I'll hug you when I see you in May!
Aly (in Cali)

6:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, you seem to have missed the point. what has kept you here this long IS America. its that simple. all those connections and people are America. please appreciate that when you leave.

11:17 pm  
Blogger sweet trini said...

to 'anonymous' i think YOU'VE missed MY point: america is not only the people (and believe me, i like precious few of them anyway) but it's also overabundance of unnecessary beaurocracy, shitty administration, hypocrisy, bullshit and unfair laws, racism and other accepted bigotry, false 'morals' and useless standards and denial of the absurdity of this society's need to be pc, lots of bad food and worse weather, widely accepted lying, holier-than-thou-attitude (not forgetting its better-than-thou-attitude), self-righteous ignorance about (and superiority complex over) and lack of concern for the rest of the world, and all those other people (the unwashed and uneducated majority) that i DON'T like.
and for your information, the ONLY thing that's kept me here is that i happen to be in love with a man (just one single person) who can't leave yet.
did i miss anything? besides your name, of course...

11:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i started writing this epic comment and then realised that no matter how hard you try you can't reason with these sort of idiots.

i understand you perfectly e, i grew up in a better place than this, i didn't move here for a job or because things were bad in my country, i moved here for love and i'm frightened by the things i see in this country everyday and if i could i would bolt at a moment's notice.

2:20 pm  
Blogger Jake said...

I appreciate the shout-out, and I know you never meant any actual disrespect to me or any of your American friends. But put yourself in my shoes--if I said those kinds of things about Trinidad, I'm betting you would never speak to me again. There are things I would change about this country, sure, but I refuse to be ashamed of who I am or where I am from.

I think Americans are great people--we can agree to disagree on that if you like.

11:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home