Thursday, January 04, 2007

road rage

christmas eve we ate @ rosa mexicano with alyfromcali and family.
when we talked about what time we needed to leave home to make our reservation, grims quoted some time that i promised i'd be ready for, but i must confess that i am rarely on time (although when i make us late, is usually 5-15; when he makes us late, we an hour and more late).
i did try to be ready but was, of course, late- by the time we left home it was 10minutes before our reservation.
as we got in the car and i saw the time, i thought, "safe. this is the amount of time it should really take to get there anyway..." which led me to ponder why grims always wants to leave so much earlier than i think is necessary to be somewhere, which led me to ponder whether my consistent lateness might be due to consistently underestimating the amount of time it takes to get somewhere (i should confirm that when i talk about being always late, i'm talking about engagements with hard deadlines, not limes and fetes and shit you can just fall in).
i sat through the ride with bated breath, wondering which of us had estimated drive-time correctly, and every time we were momentarily stuck behind some incompetent fool i got anxious. but grims drove like a star (dare i say, like moses?) avoiding every pothole and non-driving asshole with beautiful skill, masterfully switching to the best lane at the right time, skating through yellow lights with aplomb, stopping for nothing.
we approached the restaurant and i thought we might make it in 10 after all, but then remembered parking, in the district, the day before christmas, and my stomach fell again.
we got close and started looking. grims saw a spot but we decided to get closer. we turned the corner to drive past rosa mexicano and saw a single empty spot waiting, immediately in front of rosa's welcoming doors. we turned off the engine @ 4.59pm and stepped inside, on time, because the traffic gods smiled upon us, bestowing rock stardom.
in that moment, i realised that i don't so much underestimate how long it takes to get somewhere as i assume that when i get in my car, i'll drive.
it's time to get the petards off the road.
walk good.

4 Comments:

Blogger willl said...

dc driving sucks. i'm working on a similar post. stay tuned.

11:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to leave so early because I know how late you tend to run so I give you an early go time and we usually make it on time. Forget I said this. I really want to be 20 minutes early for everything.

3:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the opposite problem. I always overestimate and then I'm ridiculously early. It seems to skip a generation in my family. We used to tell my grandpa to be somewhere an hour after we wanted him just so he wouldn't show up when we were in pj's. But my mom gets up for work 20 minutes before she has to be there and we alway miss the previews at the movies.
I think my mom and I cancelled each other out this visit, thus we only beat you to the restaurant by a minute.
Aly

8:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm usually slightly early or right on time... something my daddy darling drummed into us all our lives!

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home