Friday, January 14, 2005

sell my soul?

so i lied.
i thought i was going to bed, but during my shower realised that i now have the forum to gather opinions on something i been considering on and off for months now, since someone sent me a link to this site. i visited
www.wewantyoursoul.com and have been plagued by the sinister possibilities ever since!
now i know there's a good chance the site is all bullshit anyway, but if the quote they gave me for my soul is good, then i could pay off student loans and the house...
so when i first checked it out, i turned to grims (previously referred to as my husband, or my sexy husband- which is not to say he's no longer sexy, but grims is shorter and i'm a terrible typist) and pointed out that since neither of us is religious, it couldn't hurt to find out if the offer made by the soul-purchasers is the real deal. i mean, if they straight up then we take care of business and live happily-debt-free-ever-after. and if not, then what have we lost, since the soul thing was never a big consideration...
he said no. emphatically. repeatedly.
he said that i shouldn't risk it, that you never know, that even if i didn't believe in the personal value of my soul it would still be very bad karma to sell it to strangers (i'm sure his implication referred to selling it at all).
but, i said, i'd be selling it for a good cause! with our financial portfolio, it could be considered a charity auction.
but i did not prevail. he was adamant, and i figured it was one of those arguments the 'nay' had to win, in all fairness (much like the decision to have a baby, but thankfully, we both naysaying that one)- after all, he's stuck with me for life, so if he prefers scrunting to soulless, i shouldn't complain. i believe one shouldn't force children, or soul-selling on loved ones.
i also broached the topic with zed, but she seconded his nay, and i dare not mention this option to my mother, for fear of her ability to channel the wrath of god.
so i let it go, but every month or so, i revisit the 'fantastic opportunity', fondly rediscover my soul's worth, think about selling it (would that be like selling out?), and forcibly remind myself that if it turns out i do need my soul, this would be the worst way to find out. i don't need a cosmic thump on the back of my skull along with the fat paycheck (the quote's in pounds too) but the logical side of me keeps saying just do it! what has your soul done for you lately? and if god is for real, god would understand and forgive once you sold it for the right reasons anyway...
but scary as the mortgage is, testimonials from unknowns on the website just may not be enough, so is there anyone out there who's sold their soul and would like to share? or anyone who thinks they'd like to try it and email me with results? or just anyone with a persuasive argument in either direction? enquiring mind wants to know...
walk good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home