Friday, October 22, 2010

flash fiction friday #30

flash fiction friday #30: testdriving a different kinna inclusion trigger, so tell me how you feel 'bout this one when you write (in general, doh forget to submit triggers and give feedback on those as much as wha' fellow fffers write); this not about including the actual words, but incorporating the item/idea into the piece (comment if you need clarification and i'll check 'cause i know i eh do it this way here before). so this week's fff#30 (inclusion) trigger: snakecharmer, citrus, book(s).
rules of engagement:
you will send in your suggestions for flash fiction friday triggers (starter sentences/phrases, closers, titles, inclusions, etc.) anytime during the week up to 11.55a.m. friday, trinbago timezone; i will post the new fff trigger by noon friday trinbago timezone.*
if your trigger is not chosen and you think it is too brilliant not to be chosen, you will send it in again the next week.
you will write an anecdote, short story, or novel length prose poem using the trigger provided.
you will add comments and appropriate linkage to my trigger-post indicating your desire to participate and the completion of your piece (don't need a blogger/gmail account to comment on my blog).
you may join in at any time prior to the deadline.*
you will display your piece as a post on your own blog (or as a comment on my trigger-post or fasbook note or whatever, once we can all read it- please make sure we can all access the link to read it, not just those who are your friends on fasbook; there's a way to create public links for that, right?).
you will be done by monday noon trinbago timezone.*[in light of collective busyness and my general mentality, i not pressed about these deadlines 'cause i'd rather have fun reading late than never, so if you want to fff past deadline, go through hard, just make sure you comment on the appropriate trigger-post so we know which it belongs to, and if is a real old trigger, comment on the most recent post as well so we know something new to back-back+read...if nobody fffs i'll leave the same trigger up until at least 1person other than myself writes a piece]*
write fresh!
walk good.

5 Comments:

Blogger mystie said...

Abandoned, distraught, and cold. Funny how even when you live on the equator you can feel so cold. I knew the temperature was about 25 degrees Celsius and there was more humidity than wind, but i felt cold. So very cold. The ball i was curled into was my feeble attempt to try to ward away the bone chilling cold that wracked me from inside out. Why was i here in the corner of a dark shack with my knees tucked tightly under my chin and my arms wrapped bloodlessly around my thighs? The story is simple but the journey complicated.
I used to be a very boring student at a mediocre college, just trying to get through the days and nights of mid terms, assignments, and lecherous professors, who were too eager to 'help' you out if you were willing to 'help' them. Ugh, the thought of some of the proposals i had received made me shiver again in disgust. The problem was i looked too pretty. The kind of pretty where everyone thought i would be great on my back, or knees, or swinging from a pole, but i could not possibly be smart enough to get an A on my own. Oh no not me, a natural blonde, with a very natural D cup, snatched in waist and an unreasonably high pitched sing song voice that i tried desperately to disguise to no avail.
Every female i had ever met hated me, every male i had ever met wanted to sleep with me. Some women dream of such things but not me. I dreamt of food. Not for me to eat but for the world to eat. I daydreamed of making the perfect fruit, one that nourished, would full you up, and could last for months out in the open, never rotting and never needing special conditions to maintain its nutritional value. That was my baby, my project, what i hoped would be my life long work. Unknown to those who saw me all of my time was split between the lab and the library. If they actually paid attention they would notice all of my books, pencils, erasers, everything i owned smelled and looked like an orange. It was not a strange fetish, nor was it the only word i could spell, it was my research. I had found the key to unlocking my destiny. Vitamin C. If i could figure out how to make that vitamin last forever under any conditions, i was certain the rest would fall into place.
That is why i ended up moving to the equator. A guest lecturer had given a presentation on a strain of orange that could only be found in a forest on this small island directly lying on the equator, but could not be successfully grown anywhere else in the world, not even in specially acclimated green houses. The way he spoke, the descriptions he used, it was as if he were weaving this spell around me, one that i could not and did not want to break loose from. At the end of that 40 minutes i knew without a doubt what my next step was. From his words everything inside of me knew that the answers i needed were in that particular strain of orange, all i had to do was get to it before someone else did.

11:52 am  
Blogger Ishara Katherine said...

i realize you read all the fffs i have posted so far :) i plan on doing all of them, eventually.
don't quite understand what you mean about the incorporation. please to clarify :)

9:15 pm  
Blogger sweet trini said...

trigger clarification: if 1 of the words were "beach" you could set it at the beach without needing the word itself, necessarily; there needs to be at minimum a figurative reference to the concept of beach; not that you cyah say "beach" if you want...hope that helps.
mystie, i eh readin until i write, so, sooncome.
walk good.

1:39 pm  
Blogger Ishara Katherine said...

#30 up, in time for a new one :D
not sure i did it right tho... but i mostly like it :)
http://isharalegreat.blogspot.com/2010/10/flash-fiction-friday-30-charmer.html

2:58 am  
Blogger sweet trini said...

in+done, above on this blog mainpage; posting new trigger, then reading allyuh #30...walk good.

12:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home